2009-03-11

It's a good ship

So this is my opening blog post about the good ship Fugu and the fun I intend to have bringing her into the 21st century. Fugu is a 30 year old 30' sloop - a Beneteau First 30 with a lead keel to be precise.

I bought this boat in the summer of 2008, right in the midst of moving and renovating my house. I firmly recommend against doing this. One thing at a time.

Being an older boat, she has her problems... The plexiglas ports are cracked on port and starboard. The motor mounts are completely compressed and desperately need replacement, the exhaust box is rusting out and this past season developed a pinhole leak. There are stress cracks around many of the stanchion posts which will need to be dealt with. The exterior wood needs mostly to be replaced. The entire starboard side of the coach roof has delaminated so I will need to open that up and replace the core which is undoubtedly soaked and rotten. And the instruments are pretty much original.

On the good side, she floats and the bits that keep the water on the outside of the hull seem to be in good shape. The hull is sound and drawing 5'6" and carrying 45% ballast, she is stiff and points well. I am told new sails will help that even more but there is a lot more I want to get done before I invest in new sails. I consider making the boat more comfortable on weekend cruises a priority.

Stay tuned for my progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment