2015-02-19

Spring 2015 Projects

Spring projects, 2015


So, at the risk of eternal optimism, here is a quick list of my projects for the spring of 2015.

Integrate an embedded wifi router into Fugu.

The VoCore is a very small (and very inexpensive), 25mm x 25mm router that runs OpenWRT (an embedded linux, specialized in wifi routers).  It is a standard Linux distribution, however and allows one to build all manner of existing software to it.  I already have a Brookhouse iMux, however it only support one wifi device and only runs in Ad Hoc network mode.  It is intended as a wifi cable replacement  The OpenWRT-based Vocore runs a full wifi router suite, with DHCP addressing, NAT, etc.  The VoCore does use nearly 1W of power compared to 0.2W for the brookhouse, but on a 5000Whr pack, this is negligible.  Especially on a day-sailor / weekender.  Here is what the VoCore will do for me.

Add K-Plex to VoCore

One of the tools I am adding to the VoCore is K-Plex, an NMEA routing package.  In other words, this little router will distribute NMEA data to any device connected to the VoCore wifi network.  In short, my iPhone, iPad, navigation laptop and any other wifi-equipped device my crew brings aboard, simultaneously.

Connect battery SoC data to VoCore

The VoCore also has an available USB port.  To this I am connecting my EV-Display battery state of charge meter from CleanPowerAuto.  The EV-Display outputs a fixed-format character string each second that includes a lot of information about the battery pack, such as voltage, temperature, amps, estimated amp-hours remaining, etc.  I can write a parser for this information on the VoCore that will allow three things:
  1. Create NMEA strings using the XDR sentence for things such as voltage and current.  The hope is that these could then be sent through K-Plex to be displayed on a laptop or iPhone and become part of a general boat data distribution system.
  2. Create a series of web pages that can be accessed by any client connected to the VoCore network.
  3. Push this information to a server I control on the Internet.  This will allow me to check battery status remotely.

 Repackage the lithium battery pack

At the moment,  Fugu's propulsion battery is arranged in two columns of 8 cells, which are actually groups of 4 cells strapped together and strapped to a supporting plank.  This was so that I could easily (relatively easily) place the cells in the boat or remove them for winter storage.  After one season, I have come to the conclusion that I would rather have a single consolidated battery pack.  I am going to build a box out of 3/16" marine plywood and a 1/4" lexan top.  The cells will be in a 3-wide (3x 142mm) by 6-long (6x 61mm) arrangement.  Being a 16-cell pack, that will result in 2 5-cell columns and one 6-cell column.  The extra space of the two non-existent cells will be filled with the following:
  • the 225A Class-T fuse, required to be within 7" of any source of power
  • The EV-Display battery monitor
  • The miniBMS.
Hoisting the pack in and out will require some engineering.  I will build a gantry-jig from some pocket-door track and cars, as well as some small pulleys (4:1 reduction) and line.  With this, I can lift the ~130lb pack in or out of the engine bay by myself.  To get it in or out of the boat, I can use the boom and main sheet block and tackle.  Failing that, two people could handle it easily enough.  Either way, this would be best done at the dock and not with the boat out of the water, in her cradle.

Running and nav lights

In 2013, I completely re-rigged and re-wired my mast.  However, since my electrical system was not yet installed, I never got around to filling the old through-deck holes and drilling the 5 (FIVE!) new through-deck fittings for the re-wired mast.  This must be done this year.  At the same time, the wires for my red/green running lights corroded through at the end of last season.  So these wires must be replaced.  It will be an uncomfortable install since the wires are run through the pulpit tubing, into a junction box in the anchor locker (?!) and then along the underside of the deck of the boat back to the main panel at the nav desk.
A number of years ago, I also acquired a new LED stern light.  this needs to be installed, and why not, rewired as well.

Install the pressure water pump

I divesting myself of all things diesel, I traded a Racor fuel filter for a pressure water pump.  I really ought to install this for this season.  That will also require that I reinstall my 90L flexible water tank and new hose to my galley and head sinks.  I will also have to install a pressure faucet in the boat. I will keep the foot pump, but I may switch it to raw-water.  Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment